Monday, August 23, 2010

TRIP TO THE ONLY COMMUNITY METAL STORE

This city, in the 2 years that I've been here, hasn't shown me a single decent record store worthy of a 'loony'.  That is, until today.  Yes, ladies and germans, today I have discovered the wondrous and highly uncompromising delicious inventory of one Scrape Records. 

I must admit that I didn't expect much from this tiny locale (how did I know or come to believe it was tiny? Well, a local shredder had pointed out to me that while they have 'everything' metal you could want, it was too small for local bands to play at.)  After doing the 'street view' on google, its apparent 'wee' storefront was even more evident... Then we walked in the gated entrance (sound the gong!) - the first sightings we see are CDs, and on a ledge above are some blood-stained SLAYER VINYLS! (re-issued).

It was apparent that there was all sorts of merchandise in the crevices, but I wanted to go in a counter-clockwise direction, very slowly. I didn't want to dismiss the store without first seeing all the possibilities it had to offer.
First on the list of worthy items was the reissued 20th anniversary CD/DVD of the legendary Napalm Death: "Scum". It was only 20 bones - I would have snatched it up if it were the only game in town.. but alas, there was more, much, much more....

In the DVD section I spotted Sodom's "Lords of Depravity", along with some other worthy titles, but the one that really caught my eye was Destruction's "The History of Annihilation", and being the sucker for all that is Metal History, it was on top of my list. Another one on my list was the "Bang Your Head Festival" series of DVD concerts.

The t-shirt section was smaller than the other t-shirt haven located downtown, but in some ways much more respectable. The hoodies and even girls' t-shirt selections were well stocked with decent choices by the store owner; there was plenty of SLAYER and IRON MAIDEN shirts, but there was also VOIVOD, DESTRUCTION, ULVER, KREATOR, SEPULTURA, among others.

There was a Venom watch that is now on my list, next to a couple of METALLICA watches in the display case which shared space with rare imported CDs (most expensive ones at that!).   
The walls were decorated with expensive, hard to find vinyl and even singles, like for example a RAVEN single which featured UDO - and it was a picture disc to boot.  Talk about rare! 
There was the ever elusive JUMP IN THE FIRE single complete with the beast waiting in the orange glow.  Looked like new so maybe there is some re-issue thing going on with those?  I'll find out soon enough.  Only 80 bones....

Then there were the most amazing vinyl gems I could ever have hoped to find: 

NAPALM DEATH's original pressing of SCUM
DRI original pressing of DEALING WITH IT
CARNIVORE re-issued RETALIATION
CELTIC FROST pic-disc of MORBID TALES

TOTAL: $185

HOPEFULLY, I'LL GET AROUND TO THESE GEMS BEFORE SOME OTHER BASTARD DOES!!

Total purchases today:
Voivod t-shirt $34.95
1988 Kerrang magazine (Frolic in Frisco) $3.99
Destruction DVD - The History of Annihilation $29.99
ACTUAL VINYL PLAYER STILL UNACQUIRED...

No comments:

Post a Comment